August 18: Goddard Forum Advancing One Health in Pennsylvania
“Zoonotic Diseases Challenges”
Inaugural Pennsylvania One Health Symposium
August 18, 2018
Laura H. Kahn, MD, MPH, MPP
Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs, Princeton University
Co-Founder, One Health Initiative http://www.onehealthinitiative.com
One Health from the physician/public health point of view – food safety and security, antimicrobial resistance, and emerging infectious diseases
Jack A. Shere, DVM, PhD
Chief Veterinary Officer, USDA/APHIS
One Health from point of view of domestic animal health
Peter J. Hudson, DPhil
Verne M. Willaman Professor of Biology and Director of the Huck Institutes of the Life Sciences at The Pennsylvania State University
One Health from point of view of disease ecology, wildlife and interface issues – peri domestic hosts, vector borne issues, Tb and Brucella, and antimicrobial resistance
James S. Holt, VMD
Pennsylvania Animal Health & Diagnostic Commission member and One Health Task Force Chair
Pennsylvania’s One Health Initiative
“Healthier people, animals, plants and ecosystems thriving in an increasingly vibrant Pennsylvania “
To bring professions, stakeholders and citizens together in multiple ways to share knowledge, find common ground, refine planning and policies, and take actions to coordinate definitive gains in human, animal, plant and ecosystem health.
TASK FORCE MEMBERS
- Department of Agriculture
- Department of Conservation and Natural Resources
- Department of Environmental Protection
- Department of Health
- Department of Transportation
- Pennsylvania Emergency Management Agency
- Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission
- Pennsylvania Game Commission
- Pennsylvania House of Representatives, Agriculture and Rural Affairs Committee
- Temple University
- The Pennsylvania State University
- University of Pennsylvania
- US Department of Agriculture, Veterinary Services
- US Department of Agriculture, Wildlife Services
Penn State’s Goddard Chair, along with the Pennsylvania One Health Task Force and the Pennsylvania Veterinary Medical Association, is honored to sponsor this forum and bring together professions, stakeholders and citizens to share knowledge, find common ground, and identify actions to coordinate definitive gains in human, animal, plant and ecosystem health in Pennsylvania and beyond.
One Health is a conceptual approach for improving interdisciplinary collaborations and communications to improve the well-being of humans, animals and the environment, recognizing that each of their abilities to thrive is tied to the whole. In Pennsylvania we envision Commonwealth agencies working collaboratively with many partners in and out of government to support and attain optimal health for people, animals and the environment.
- Inform and educate about the One Health concept and One Health initiatives.
- Exchange and share experiences and results in all aspects of One Health.
- Present and discuss recent innovations, trends, and concerns as well as practical challenges encountered and solutions adopted in the fields of One Health.
- Collaboratively identify priority issues, objectives and actionable strategies to advance a One Health mission in Pennsylvania.
7:30 am Continental Breakfast
8:30 am Welcome/Opening Remarks
9:00 am Dr. Laura Kahn, Princeton University
9:45 am Dr. Jack Shere, USDA APHIS VS
10:30 am Dr. Peter Hudson, Penn State Univ.
11:15 am Dr. James Holt, PA One Health TF
NOON LUNCH & NETWORKING
AFTERNOON DISCUSSION SESSIONS
1:00 pm One Health Issues
1:15 pm Objectives Discussions
2:45 pm Actions/Strategies Discussions
4:30 pm Wrap Up & Next Steps
5:30 pm Social/Reception
7:00 pm Adjourn