Continue to let your senators know that they must vote against any bill that decreases health access
(Medicaid, Medicare, health insurance coverage, Planned Parenthood)
The Senate is expected to vote on a bill that would gut the Affordable Care Act and is just as bad for the health of the public as the version passed by the House of Representatives. The ultimate outcome of the bill likely hangs in the balance of only one or two votes. We need to generate as much pressure on Senators as possible!
Call your senators. Urge them to vote ‘no’ on the Senate health care bill by dialing the Capitol switchboard at 202-224-3121. Especially if you do not know where your Senator stands, be persistent. It may take a few tries to get through. Introduce yourself as a physician constituent, make these points:
- I urge Sen. XX to oppose the Senate health care bill that would:
- Result in millions of Americans losing their health insurance coverage;
- Devastate the Medicaid program and phase out Medicaid expansion;
- Allow states to opt out of requiring that health plans cover essential health benefits; and
- Block Medicaid reimbursements to Planned Parenthood.
- Immediately eliminate critical public health funding by repealing the Prevention and Public Health Fund.
- Overall, the bill is a threat to the health of America.
- It gives billions of dollars in tax cuts for the wealthy.
- I am deeply disappointed that a handful of senators created this plan behind closed doors, with no hearing, no debate, and no public input.
- Instead, I expect my senator, a member of what is supposed to be the world’s greatest deliberative body, to work in a bipartisan manner to build upon the ACA to make it stronger.
Forward this message to your friends, family, and colleagues. You can also send a tweet!
This action message was composed by the American Public Health Association.